Ranking the Yankees By Best Dog Name

… That would be the title (and purpose) of my new post at Bugs & Cranks. “Melky” is #1, of course, while “Chad” came in dead last. Terrible name for a dog, Chad.

If you only read one analysis of the 2009 Yankees, don’t make it this one. But if you read dozens of them, you might consider it.

This train of thought was sparked by Brian at Random House, whose own dog, Goose – as in Gossage – was once personally petted and complimented by Derek Jeter on the Upper East Side. My dog came with the name Pearl, and it suits her; but left to my own devices I might have come up with something a bit different, and quite possibly baseball-related. So it’s likely for the best that I didn’t get to make my own pick, or I might spend my mornings in Prospect Park calling for Bris Lord (“Human Eyeball, come! Come here, girl!”).

If something exciting doesn’t happen soon this offseason, I’ll do the Mets next.

11 Responses to “Ranking the Yankees By Best Dog Name”

1. David Pinto says:

One of my neighbors named their new golden retriever puppy Jeter.

2. Jason says:

This is a great sports blog you have here. I have two sports blogs myself. I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around. We sports bloggers have to stick together.

Let me know if this is possible.

Jason
    SportsSoundOff.net
    SPORTSMONARCH.com

3. Schruender says:

Melky is the best name for a dog no doubt. I would also think that the name "Pet it" would get some respect though…

4. joejoejoe says:

I had a dog as a kid named Yogi after Yogi Berra. He was a black lab/retriever mix and when we first got him I was throwing a tennis ball to him in a little alcove in our house and progressively throwing harder until I was whipping that thing and I couldn't get it by the dog and he kept catching it clean. My father said 'That dog would make a pretty good catcher' so we named him Yogi.

5. Lisa says:

We always thought our first dog (or child) would be named Mookie but when we got our furball, it just didn’t fit so we went old-school Knicks and named her Cazzie instead.

Went obscure Canadian indie band with the next one, hence Moxy.

I’m sure if we ever get a third dog it WILL have a baseball-related name but Mookie seems better suited to a golden retriever, not a Bichon.

6. I adore puppies. I just got a single a week ago and it has not been trained yet and has bitten me a couple of times but its practically nothing to worry about, i can train it nicely. I hope :-)

7. Aysun says:

Mike Lupica June 22, 2012 13:55At Citi field tohgint there will be two teams, but one story The Mets. You can go there tohgint & watch a team with a $200 million dollar payroll or you can watch a team in every sense of the word. YOu can watch RA Dickey, who is the best story in the sport or watch David Wright the third baseman you want at bat with the game on the line. Watch Terry Collins fiery passion or the blossoming first baseman Ike Davis. Just remember what you feel tohgint, like what Shea felt like in 69 or 86. These Mets make you watch. The Yankees, nice players but no team. Roger Clemens took steriods & so did A-Rod. The Mets are clean, team, a team worth rooting for. Bobbu V has the Yanks lookng over their shoulders. The Summer has just begun. So has my menstrual cycle, 16 0

8. Sylina says:

I travel for work and would love to show him the plceas I go to. I know when he gets older he will want to do it more with friends and people of his age but I more want to instill in him the huge variety of beautiful plceas that we all have the ability to go see, meet different cultures and see really awesome once in a lifetime things.

9. Mami says:

I am definitely loionkg forward to playing catch bringing him to ball games (I’m not huge into baseball, but I will always remember when my dad took me to a game Mets vs. Phillies at Shea, Mets lost, but it was great, just me and my dad)Looking forward to teaching him to bike also. Building a tree house with him, camping. It will be tons of fun!

10. vintage says:

That is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate information… Thank you for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

11. virginia says:

That is really interesting, You are an excessively skilled blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and sit up for in the hunt for extra
    of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your web site
    in my social networks